All modern human diseases such as diabetes, neuropsychiatric disorders, cardiovascular diseases, cancer are just some of the diseases of comfort that threaten our health, our existence itself. In fact, most of these diseases have their origin in what is known as negative lifestyle of modern man. We all face challenges every day because of our modern lifestyle.
Genetic aspect of human being was formed through millions of years of evolution and determines our nutritional and activity needs. Although the human genome has remained unchanged our diet and lifestyle have become progressively more and more divergent from those of our ancient ancestors.
Think about it! Only 500 years ago, all humans consumed only wild and unprocessed food foraged and hunted from their environment. This means a diet high in lean protein, polyunsaturated fats (omega-3, fatty acids), fibbers, vitamins, monounsaturated fats, minerals, antioxidants etc. Of course, the human being was healthy, free of the modern diseases (diseases of comfort) that threaten the existence of the human species.
Today most of us dwell in mechanized urban settings, living a sedentary life and eating a highly processed synthetic diet. Because of this mismatch between our modern lifestyle and our Palaeolithic genome the human being existence is confronted with obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and atherosclerotic cardiovascular diseases.
And speaking about modern life style, let’ssee the most characteristic aspects:
- Lack of movement. Sedentary life with many hours spent in chairs without movement when your body starts to lose organic matter, strength, endurance. Your body will burn only very few calories and even if you are not eating too much the fat depositions risk appears. Blood circulation is affected negatively, especially in the legs, resulting in varicose veins and cellulite. Different muscle groups come into prolonged contractions because posture, and will be painful, stiff and without force in the coming days.
- The stress. Stress is primarily psychological and will be reflected in hormonal environment. The hormones will trigger hunger and the body receives orders to deposit unwanted fat. For many of us this stress may give sleepiness, headaches or digestive disorders (constipation).
- Dehydration. In the long summer days we are using air conditioner. The air conditioner is dry so you lose more water through sweat. You need caffeine, and it will cause further loss of fluids. Dehydration will be followed by the body’s natural reaction – retention of water in the coming days.
- Fast-food outlets. Fast-food is based precisely on our rush and maybe is one of the unhealthiest aspects of our modern life style. Even many from those called “nutritious” bars are only waste and garbage filled with sugar, soy, additives and fat.
- Alcohol, smoke, lost nights. No need to say more.
Modern human being has to choose the way he wants to live. He needs to prevent or treat these kinds of diseases of comfort through a balanced nutrition, regular physical activity, controlling weight and maintaining blood pressure within normal values.