In the South Beach Diet phase 2, you gradually add back some of the foods banned. In the phase #1, fruits dairy products, and certain carbs in moderation. However, it is very important to pay always attention to your own body reactions to the carbs.
The duration of the diet can be between a couple of months or a year, it will depend on your weight goal In the phase #1 Maybe, you have lost 14 pounds or more, now your goal is to slowly lose weight, around 1 to 2 pounds per week.
South Beach Diet phase #2: Week 1:
The first week of phase #2 is to add one serving carbohydrate food to each day of the week.
If you choose to have a fruit eat it at breakfast, is more likely to reduce cravings. If you choose a whole grain, than choose a low carb cereal.
South Beach Diet phase #2: Week 2:
In the second week you add a second daily serving carbohydrate food. You will eat one serving of fruit and one serving of a high fiber starchy food each day.
South Beach Diet phase #2: Week 3:
In the third week you will add again a serving of carbohydrate food daily if you tolerate it without weight gain or cravings.
If bread is a problem for you, at this point or later, choose a grain which is not ground into flour, such as brown rice, and see if you tolerate it better.
Foods permitted in South Beach Diet Phase #2:
- Unlimited lean meats including beef, lamb, pork, chicken, and turkey.
- All fish and shellfish.
- Fruits are back on the menu! Enjoy all berries, apples, grapefruit, grapes, kiwi, oranges, peaches, mangos, pears, and plums.
Start with 1 serving per day, gradually adding up to 3 servings per day
- Some starches are allowed again but eat them sparingly. They include oatmeal, high fiber cereal, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, peas, whole wheat bread, and pita bread. Again, start with 1 serving, gradually increasing to 3 servings per day.
- All the vast variety of fresh and frozen vegetables permitted in phase #1 is allowed in the South Beach Diet Phase 2. In addition, you can also begin eating beans and black-eyed peas.
- For dairy products, you can have eggs, fat free or 1% milk, light or fat free yogurt, cheeses (low fat or fat free), cream cheese, and more.
- Daily fat servings can come from monounsaturated oils such as Olive Oil or Canola Oil used in the preparation of dishes. Other sources of fat include avocados, olives, margarine made without transfat, and any salad dressing that offers less than 3 grams of sugar per serving.
- Sweet treats include sugar free pudding.
- For sugar substitutes use the sugar alcohols (xylitol, sorbitol), Stevia, Sucralose (Splenda), Nutrasweet (Equal), or Saccharin (Sweet & Low).
- Nuts such as almonds, pecans, walnuts, and peanuts are allowed in moderation
Forbidden foods in South Beach Diet phase 2:
The foods you need to avoid or rarely eat include:
– Fatty cuts of meat.
– Ice cream.
– Starchy vegetables such as beets, corn, and potatoes.
– High glycemic index fruits such as pineapple, watermelon, raisins, canned fruit, and fruit juice drinks.
– All starchy baked goods and breads such as dinner rolls, white and refined wheat breads, cookies, pastries, pasta, white flour, white rice, etc.
After your weight goal is reach you start phase 3, the maintenance phase which will continue for the rest of your life.